Friday, November 30, 2007

February 2007

This month was the first month without the other doctor on staff, and it was freeing to have it over, even if it was lots of extra work. I keep wondering why I didn’t take action sooner and what action I could have taken. One of the original consultants I spoke to in M3 told me that the problem of abdication is pervasive in management. That is, it is common for an executive to give a job to someone and then not check it carefully – make milestones, benchmarks, specific tasks in space and time; then have a reward or punishment when appropriate. I gave him the job of Lead Doctor and then let it go. I knew he wasn’t doing it well or right, but all I did was discuss it with him. I didn’t reset a goal or make a new milestone. (I did revisit benchmarks, but didn’t put any oomph behind it with requirements.) When we met it seemed like we were having a friendly discussion rather than one about Business. What was I thinking?

Now I am the Lead Doctor. It’s a role I know well and do without any problem. In fact, it’s easy. In any case, it’s simple. Owning a business is anything but simple, and though I revel in the activity, sometimes it’s exhausting. I am not naturally savvy as a businesswoman. In some ways it makes me think that I should just go back to a small private practice set-up. So often I wonder if I am just too big for my britches thinking that I can grow this company as a businesswoman. On the other hand, one conversation with someone about the poor quality of human health management reminds me of why this company is so necessary and why I love doing it. I am sure that I hate management of daily or incidental things. I love leadership activities like teaching, passing along the vision, reviewing numbers and planning ahead. If I can get the right manager I think I will be in heaven.

In the meantime, the new doctor starts in a few weeks. I am gearing up for that!