Thursday, November 01, 2007

April and May 2006

Wow. So now I know what happens when my lead doc gets married and goes on a honeymoon. I couldn’t have predicted the distraction level; most importantly, how it would effect his production. The rest of the staff is irritated. They count on him to lead the way to higher patient numbers and referrals. If he goes down, they all go down. I have had a very hard time understanding what tact I could have taken to make the outcome different. He has been complacent. In fact, the priority for him has been his wedding, simply not work or patients. I simply don’t know how to discipline for such an outrage. It is, once again, the challenge of the small company. I don’t have a doctor waiting-in-the-wings salivating over his position. That would provide a constant awareness not to take the position for granted. In any case, I have learned during the last couple of years that my job responsibility is to staff – constantly. Instead of thinking that I will get staff that last forever and ever (my fantasy), I have to plan on the staff leaving as soon as he or she starts. I remember hearing that Jack Welch of General Electric recommended to cut out the bottom 10% producers in the company (even if they were excellent producers); that kept the company fresh and clean, and created space for growth and competition. I thought it was an awful idea back then. Now I think it is not so bad