Thursday, March 30, 2006

January 2006

It is almost the end of January, 2006. I have a three week old. Labor and delivery were short, fast, furious, and welcomed. Our new daughter, Sophia, was born like our first, without any drugs or special effects. Besides being quite painful at times, it is very weird and intense to push a baby out of the body. Birth is the metaphor I am going with for getting this business to where it is going. A lot of pushing, breathing, a mess, blood, guts, some screaming and a lot of groaning; hopefully followed by a happy floating sensation!

I watched the movie The Bear last night. It has Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins as two men who have crashed a plane in the Alaskan wilderness and are trying to survive. At one point, they decide they have to kill the bear that has been stalking them. The two of them make a plan to impale the bear on a wooden spear by getting the bear to fall on the spear with all of his own weight. Alec’s character doubts that it can be done. However, Anthony’s character says, simply, “If one man did it another man can do it!” (He is referring to how the Indians used to kill bears.) A scene or two later when Alec cries that he cannot do it, Anthony makes him shout “Today I am going to kill the bear! Today I am going to kill the bear! Today I am going to kill the bear!” I have decided that I am going to watch that movie again soon.

To continue the “Year of Employee Bummers”: I add that my Senior Account Supervisor has been fired (and is being arrested) for theft. She has stolen around 20,000 dollars from my company that I know about, and the data is not all in. Solves some of the question I have had about cashflow, so that’s a plus. I do have Employee Dishonesty Insurance (didn’t know it existed until this), so there is some coverage for the loss.
Theft is administratively heavy; freezing accounts and deciding whether to close and reopen new accounts…. It is amazing how much paperwork a crime like this requires (paperwork for the banker, the fraud department at the bank, the police detective, the insurance agency…not to mention the staff.) Lastly, it appears that my bookkeeper did not do her work properly because the theft began in August. She did balance the books, but only by numbers. She didn’t reconcile the actual checks.

Our cash controls, having been challenged this way, have just gotten tighter.

In this difficult P.T. market I was able to find a great one. He came through an ad that I wrote, so I didn’t end up having to pay a finders fee to a recruiting agency. I feel like this was pulling a rabbit out of a hat. Thank you Universe! Service and revenues can return to what they should be.

It is a weakness in the business model to have only one clinician per department. There isn’t the depth necessary for departures or even sick days. However, I am not sure how to remedy that.

Instead of thinking that I am living in Groundhog’s Day for the past months I have decided to believe that I am in an intensive one-on-one tutorial for becoming business savvy. I have asked many business executives and founders and have been told that this just goes with the territory. The theory is that it is part of growth. I guess that means that I am in good company.

The internal challenges definitely effect the business production. There is a lot of introverted action and no extroverted action during times like this; that effects new business. Now that things are settling down internally I can get back to the new business efforts. I am looking forward to it.